Eight Short Story Starters
The short story starters I have included on this site from time to time have proved to be very popular. If you are looking for ideas to start you off with writing short stories, look no further. I have already written a number of lists of these short story starters – just click on the links at the bottom of this post.
Here is the latest list of ideas, all with an animal or bird theme:
- The moment I heard the old raven’s mournful cry, I knew my day was going to be a challenge.
- I looked around the room. It had been thoroughly trashed. A piercing screech from behind me made me jump. There was a large parrot sitting on the curtain rail.
- Barney bounded off after the rabbit, barking wildly. A sudden yelp came from behind the bush. Barney came slinking back to me, blood dripping from his nose.
- The first thing I noticed about the room was the dead goldfish.
- The beautiful eagle swooped quickly towards me. I could see its outstretched talons.
- I peered past the tent flap. The red fox was not aware of my stealthy stare.
- It was obvious at once that the pelican’s wings were entangled in fishing line.
- “Don’t sit there,” she commanded. “That’s the cat’s chair.”
Conditions of use:
- Feel free to use any of the story starters listed above. Change anything to suit your needs.
- Give it your best shot.
- Edit your work carefully before sending it off to a publisher or posting it on your blog.
- Let me know in the comments section how it went.
- If you publish your story on your web site or on your blog let me know so I can make a link to it for others to read.
So there you go.